Do Portable Buildings Need Planning Permission ?

Do Portable Buildings Need Planning Permission

Portable Buildings are the same as any other building and may require planning position to build on your site. Planning position is needed if the building is planned to be used for more than 28 days or will be a bigger surface area than 100 m2.

When Planning Permission Is NOT Required

Some of the requirements that allows you to not need planning permission are:

  • If The Portable Building Is An Extension Of An Existing Building Maybe Able To Avoid Planning Permission.
  • The Building Is Shorter In Height Than The Original Building
  • The Temporary Building Is Directly Relevant To The Purpose Of The Original Structure
  • Structure Of The Portable Building Is Less Than 25% Of The Original By Volume

When Planning Permission Is Required

  • It Materially Affects The External Appearance Of The Building
  • The Building Exceeds 25% Of The Total Area Available On Your Site, Or In The Case Of A Warehouse And Factory Extensions, Is More Than 25% Of The Size Of The Original Building
  • The Temporary Building Is Closer Than 5 m To The Boundary Of Your Site
  • The Building Significantly Reduces The Amount Of Land Available For Parking And/Or Manoeuvring Of Vehicles

When To Apply For Application

The ideal time to apply for Planning Permission is before your purchase or install your portable cabin, to ensure you are covered and there are no issues with Local Authorities regarding the building as can take eight to twelve weeks for the application to go through.

For this reason some businesses choose to go ahead without planning permission which is possible depending on the situation. As it’s possible to acquire a retrospective planning permission, if you can prove that your portable building is an emergency or urgent necessity. Most genuine cases get approved by Local Authorities without any issues, however if not granted could require to restore the site to its original condition. Meaning the request to remove the Portable Building failing to comply with this could result in an enforcement notice.

What Is Needed In An Application

In the application for a planning permission you will need the following documents:

  • 5 Copies Of Your Application Forms
  • Location Plan, Site Plan, Block Pan (Detailed)
  • Signed Ownership Certificates
  • Agriculture Holdings Certificate
  • Design & Access Statement – Provides A Framework In Which You Explain How The Proposed Development Will Fit Into The Site & It’s Development
  • The Correct Application Fee ( England  = £462) (Extension Only = £206)



Leave a Review